Welcome to Maple Grove United Church
The Rev. Dr. Morar Murray Hayes
Life lesson: ”Made Right with God:
Be simply yourself before God and
you will become more than yourself.”
9am: Meditative Service
10:30 am: Chancel Choir
If you are visiting Maple Grove, the Membership committee would like to welcome you.
Please take a moment to sign our Guest Book in the foyer. You may have some questions about our Christian Education programme, or maybe you would like to see around the church itself.
Please let us know how we can help, by asking one the Ministers, the ushers or the membership person (at the Membership table in the foyer).
Also, please join us for coffee following the 10:30 service in our gym. Just follow the crowd and the aroma of coffee and tea! Ask for one of our red guest coffee mugs, which are specifically for new members, guests, and ‘returning friends’.
Maple Grove is looking for a Children’s Choir Director
- for more information, click here
COMPUTER NEEDED: A desk top computer (used is fine) is highly needed by the three younger Al Balkhi children.
Upcoming Events – October, 2016
Lunches needed for Confirmation Class
This year, our confirmation class will take place on select Sundays after worship. There will be 6 or 7 of us each time.
- Pastor Brenna is looking for people willing to prepare a lunch for the group and eat with us if possible (or prepare and leave something ahead of time).
- Please sign up on the sheet on the bulletin board or email Brenna if you’re available.
- Dates needed are: October 16, November 13, November 27, and December 11.
- This would be a huge help, and a great way to get to know our confirmands.
Check other event dates by clicking here
Give Thanks – An All Ages Art Project
- All Maple Grovers are invited to reflect on what they’re thankful for,
- and write or draw your responses on the sheet of butcher paper posted by the Friendship Room.
- You may even wish to get creative and make something at home to post on the board.
- This is a fun way for us to connect in this Thanksgiving season.
Helping Kerr Street Mission Food Bank
- We are looking to fill 200 bags for Kerr Street Mission Food Bank.
- from September 28 to October 16, 2016.
- How you can help:
Thank you for your support, MGUC Outreach.
- Please pick up a brown paper bag from the church lobby
- Inside is a shopping list.
- Choose items on the list and place them in the bag
- Drop off the bag to the church lobby (or drop off at Kerr Street Mission, 485 Kerr Street).
- Donated items from the lobby will be dropped off at Kerr Street Mission
Tuesday, October 11, 7:30 p.m. – Christianity in the Modern World -
Please join Dr. Russell Martin in the Sanctuary from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm. He will conduct a series of seminars on the following subjects:
- Oct 11 Understanding the Real Jesus
- Oct 18 When Science is Right and the Bible is Wrong
- Oct 25 How Christian Fundamentalism Leads us Astray
- Nov 1 God, Sex and the Bible
- Nov 8 How Christians Got Left Behind
- Nov 15 Who Really Killed Jesus
He will be using material that he has published, and participants can take home a copy by making a donation to MGUC.
October 12, 8:00 a.m. – Men’s Breakfast Meeting
- Men’s Breakfast Meetings are held on the ”second Wednesday” each month.
- Discussions arise on many topics.
- Held at Cora’s Breakfast & Lunch in Oakville at Dorval Drive
Sunday, October 16: First monthly senior mgY – 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm in the gym
- Real Chamberland’s Celebration of Life – Sunday October 16 at 3:00 pm.
- Maple Grove United Church, 346 Maple Grove Drive
Wednesday, October 19, 10:30 a.m. – OTMH, on 3N
- Please join Rev. Morar at OTMH for a worship service
- We will need extra hands to help return patients to their units.
Saturday, November 5 – Messy Church – 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – “Salt and Light”
- How, as followers of Jesus, can we be Salt and Light in our community and the world?
- We’ll explore this question through crafts, hands-on activities, and worship
- Messy Church is an interactive worship experience for busy families.
- A meal will follow the time of worship.
- Please feel free to invite friends and neighbours.
- We also need help with setting up and taking down the craft tables before and after.
Other Messy Church dates this year are as follows:
- December 10th (note this is the 2nd Sat rather than the usual 1st Saturday)
- February 4th, March 4th, April 1st
Updating the Maple Grove United Website
Over the next few months, we are updating this website.
Please help us create a website that is useful for you by filling out this very brief survey.
The History of Christianity
For anyone who wasn’t able to attend Alan Wheable’s fascinating overview of the early periods of Christian history, Alan has prepared a book format of each of his presentations.
You can download it here
Many of the readers of this website will already be subscribers to Maple Grove’s weekly electronic newsletter, but if you aren’t one and would like to be, help has arrived!
Use the following button to add your email address to our list of newsletter subscribers, and get all our latest news and announcements sent right to your inbox.
Morar writes a weekly column for the online Oakville News. Read it here!
To donate, send a cheque to:
Maple Grove United Church
346 Maple Grove Drive Oakville ON L6J 4V5
Or donate on-line using the “Donate Now Button”: